Whalley began in the early 1920’s as a three-acre triangle of land at what would later be the intersection of 108 Avenue, Grosvenor Rd. and the King George Hwy. The owner, an enterprising bootlegger named Arthur Whalley, anticipated the need for gas and services on the route between New Westminster and the U.S. border, so he built a service station with a small general store that became known as “Whalley’s Corner”.
WHERE IT ALL STARTED
Settlement in the area increased in the late 1930’s with the completion of the Pattullo Bridge, a major water main and the King George Hwy. In 1948, the area was officially named “Whalley” (“Corner” was deemed “too unsophisticated”). In the 1950’s and 60’s, after the bridge toll was removed, and as the Port Mann Bridge and Highway 1 were completed, Whalley experienced a major building boom and it has continued to be one of the fastest growing, most densely populated districts in Surrey